A 4-0 win for Uruguay over Ecuador and lead of Group C2019-06-17
Uruguay was a goal machine in its firts CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019 match, when they are looking forward to get their sixteenth continental title, and beat Ecuador 4-0 on Sunday in the opening match game of tournament’s Group C.
An early goal from Nicolas Lodeiro in the sixth minute ended the tie at Belo Horizonte’s Mineirao Stadium and Edinson Cavani in the minute 33 and Luis Suarez in the 44th expanded the gap. Another to Arturo Mina in 77 closed the scoreboard.
The match opened the Group C, whose first date is completed on Monday with the game in Sao Paulo between two-time champion Chile and Japan, one of the guests at the world’s oldest national team tournament.
In the second game of the series, Uruguay will face Japan on Thursday at the Arena do Gremio in Porto Alegre (south), and Ecuador on Friday against Chile at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador (northeast).
- Uruguay and Ecuador played 46 times in all competitions; The Celeste won 30 of those games (10E 6D).
- Uruguay had not won by a 4+ goal difference in Copa América since 1967 against Venezuela (also 4-0).
- Uruguay scored three goals in the first half of a Copa América match for the first time in 60 years; the last time they scored three goals in the half was against Argentina (5-0) in 1959.
- Nicolas Lodeiro scored Uruguay’s 400th goal in CONMEBOL Copa América, a feat only surpassed by Argentina (455) and Brazil (408). It was his first personal goal in Copa América, and the fifth in total with Uruguay’s national team.
- Edinson Cavani, from Uruguay, scored his first goal in Copa América in his 11th game; he did it with his seventh goal in the competition.