Argentina and Colombia meet in a huge Copa America Semi-Final2021-07-06
Unbeaten Argentina and their superstar captain Lionel Messi will face a strong Colombia side on Tuesday with a place in the CONMEBOL Copa America final on the line.
The second second final should be a fascinating encounter with kick off at 22:00 local time (01:00 GMT) at the Estadio Mané Garrincha in Brasilia.
Argentina are yet to be beaten in this year’s competition. Lionel Scaloni’s side finished top of their group with 3 wins and a draw against Chile. In the quarterfinal they won 3-0 against Ecuador to progress to the final 4.
La Albiceleste have reached the final in 4 of the last 6 editions but have not lifted the trophy in almost 30 years; they will hope to put an end to that run in 2021.
After challenging group stage, Colombia finished third in Group B and progressed to the semi-final with a win against Uruguay. David Ospina was the star man with 2 decisive stops in the shootout.
Tuesday’s semi-final is a huge occasion and both will look to earn a place in the final to meet hosts Brazil and the world famous Maracaná with the title on the line.
Stadium: Mané Garrincha de Brasilia
Time: 22:00 hora local (01:00 GMT )
Referee: Jesús Valenzuela (VEN)
TV: TyC Sports, TV Pública y DirecTV (Argentina); Caracol TV, RCN, Win Sports y DirecTV (Colombia); SBT, ESPN Brasil (Brasil)
- Argentina and Colombia will meet for the third time in the Copa America semi-final. The first time was in 1993 (Argentina won on penalties and finished champions) and then in 2004 (Argentina won but lost in the final against Brazil). Most recently the sides met in Brazil in 2019 when Colombia won 2-0 in the group stage.
- This will be los cafeteros eighth semi-final but they have never played a one off final outside of Colombia. They won the title in Colombia in 2001 and in 1975 played Peru over three games in three different countries.
- Argentina has only lost 1 of the 6 CONMEBOL Copa America semi-finals they have played; their only defeat came in 2019 against Brazil. They have never played a Copa America final in Brazil.
- Colombia has the most ball recoveries (306), interceptions (74) and fouls (78 – level with Paraguay) at the CONMEBOL Copa America.
- Lionel Messi is the top scorer (4) and top in assists (4) at the CONMEBOL Copa America. He has been involved in 80% of Argentina’s goals at the tournament.