‘Los Incas’ are goint to face Brazil in the final of the Maracaná.
The Peruvian national team qualified on Wednesday (July 3rd) to the final of the CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019, after defeating the current champions in the second semi-final, in a match played in the city of Porto Alegre.
In a match worthy of a semifinal, the Pacific Classic had emotions from the beginning to the end, with Peru being lethal in their attacks and Chile selling their defeat at the Arena do Gremio stadium. The goals were scored by Edison Flores (21 PT), Yosimar Yotún (38 PT) and Paolo Guerrero (46 ST).
With this goal, Paolo Guerrero reached 13 goals in the CONMEBOL Copa América, what makes him the player who has scored the most in the competition.
This was a duel with two marked styles. Chile controlling the actions and always going to the front, while Peru, down, waited for their opportunity to release fast counter-attacks.
The Ricardo Gareca’s team victory qualifies them for the final of the continental tournament against the hosts Brazil on Sunday July 7th at Rio de Janeiro’s legendary Maracana Stadium.
Peru will go for their third CONMEBOL Copa America title on Sunday, following the victories in 1939 and 1975.
Brazil, on the other hand, will seek their ninth continental title after those won in 1919, 1922, 1949, 1989, 1997, 1999, 2004 and 2007.
Meanwhile, on Saturday in Sao Paulo, at the Arena Corinthians, Chile and Argentina will play for third place. La Roja and La Albiceleste played the last two Copa America finals, in Cile-2015 and Centenario-2016, both won by Chile on penalties.
· Peru equaled their biggest win over Chile in a non-friendly match: 3-0 in the CONMEBOL Copa América 1949, also in Brazil.
· Peru will play their second CONMEBOL Copa América final, the previous one was in 1975, when they won against Colombia. They had been eliminated in five of their previous six semi-finals of the tournament.
· Peru are the only team to have scored goals against Chile in CONMEBOL Copa América direct elimination matches since 2015: they did so in the semi-finals of 2015 and 2019.
· Peru lost just one of its last 10 CONMEBOL Copa América matches, with five wins and four draws.
· Peru defeated Chile for the first time in CONMEBOL Copa América qualifiers; it had fallen in the 1979 semifinals (1E 1D, in round-trip matches) and 2015.
· Chile attempted just three shots in the first half against Peru, making up their lowest amount in the first half of the CONMEBOL Copa América 2019; in the second half they attempted 16, their highest amount in a second half of the last four editions of the tournament.
· Yoshimar Yotún scored his third goal playing for Peru, and his second from outside the box; the last was also that way, against El Salvador, in a friendly in 2016.
· Paolo Guerrero scored against Chile and overcame Eduardo Vargas as the active player with the most goals in CONMEBOL Copa América (13); he also came in third among the players with the most goals in the competition (along with Ademir, Hector Scarone, Jose Manuel Moreno, Jair and Gabriel Batistuta).
· Pedro Gallese made seven saves against Chile (including a penalty) the most for a Peruvian goalkeeper in a match in the last four editions of the Copa America (21 PJ).
· Edison Flores scored his 13th goal for Peru, all with Ricardo Gareca as a coach; he is the second player with the most goals since the Argentine came on the Incaica team (17 Paolo Guerrero).