The first day of quarterfinals comes to a close with Perú and Brasil booking their place in the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021 semi-final with wins against Paraguay and Chile respectivley.
Brazil will face Peru on Monday at 20:00 local time at the Nilton Santos Stadium in Río de Janeiro.
The opening game of the round was a spectacular one as Peru and Paraguay played out a dramatic 3-3 draw which was decided on penalties.
Gianluca Lapadula scored twice for Peru before Robert Rojas deflected a third into his own net whileGustavo Gómez, Junior Alonso and Gabriel Ávalos were the scorers for Paraguay.
Ricardo Gareca’s side ultimately emerged as winners following a nervy 4-3 penalty shootout victory.
With this, Peru secured their place in the semifinal and can dream of lifting the famous trophy once again.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
• This was the second consecutive draw between Peru and Paraguay. In total 10 goals were scored in the last 2 games. In October 2020 the game finished 2-2 in World Cup qualifying and tonight it finished 3-3.
• Paraguay has scored 5 goals in their last 2 games against Peru (2 draws). This is the same number of goals as they scored in the 5 previous games (5 draws).
• Peru extend a run of 8 games unbeaten against Paraguay in all competitions (6 wins, 2 draws). Peru has scored at least once in all of the games in this run.
• Yoshimar Yotún scored his third goal for Peru. With today’s game he equals Cornelio Heredia and Paolo Guerrero as the player with the most games played in the Copa America (25).
• Gianluca Lapadula scored his second and third goals at the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021. This is first double for Peru after 9 games for the natioanal team in all competitions.
– Brazil edge out Chile –
Brazil progress to the semi-final thanks to a narrow win against Chile despite a red card for Gabriel Jesus early into the second half.
Lucas Paquetá, came off the bench at halftime to score the only game of the game early in the second half following a nice passing exchange around the box.
In the second half Martín Lasarte’s Chile side pushed for the equalizer but Brazil’s famously strong defense was able to get the job done to ensure the hosts make it through to the final four.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
• Brazil have won their last 5 games against Chile in the CONMEBOL Copa América. During this period Brazil scored 12 goals and only conceded once. Furthermore, they have never been beaten by Chile on home soil in the competition (3 wins, 1 draw).
• Brazil failed to score against Chile in only one of their 22 meetings at the CONMEBOL Copa América (17 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses). This came in Brazil’s biggest defeat against Chile, a 4-0 loss in 1987.
• Brazil has not conceded in 41 (37 wins, 4 draws) of the 59 games(44 wins, 11 draws, 4 losses) of the Tite era in all competitions.
• Chile had 5 shots on target against Brazil. This was most of any Brazil game in the CONMEBOL Copa América since Tite took charge. They had previously never faced more than 3 shots on target in the competition.
• Neymar is the player with the second most dribbles at the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021 (21 in 4 games, Messi has 22 in 4 games) and he has received the most fouls (21).