The four quarterfinal qualifiers from Group A have now been decided . This thursday Uruguay and Paraguay won their games against Bolivia and Chile respectively to confirm their place in the next round alongisde la roja and Argentina.
Bolivia, on the other hand, have failed to pick up any points so far and will be unable to move out of last place even if they beat Argentina on the final day. They are therefore the first team eliminated from the competition.
The first game of the day saw Uruguay secure qualification with a 2-0 win against Bolivia.
Goalkeeper Carlos Lampe scored an own goal, an unfortunate detail despite an excellent performance, before Edinson Cavani doubled the Uruguay lead to secure the win for Óscar Tabárez’s side who were superior on the day.
With that the Celeste reached 4 points with a final game against Paraguay to define their position in the group.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
– Uruguay and Bolivia have met 13 times at the CONMEBOL Copa América on nuetral ground. Uruguay have won 11 times, drawn once and lost once. Their only defeat was a 3-2 loss that came in 1949 in Rio de Janeiro.
– Uruguay end a run of 5 games without a win in all competitions (3 draws, 2 losses). Their last win came against Colombia (3-0) in World Cup qualifiers. They scored more against Bolivia than they had in these previous 5 games.
– Bolivia has lost 11 consecutive games at the CONMEBOL Copa América. It is the worst run of results for the side in the history of the competition. The last time they avoided defeat at the CONMEBOL Copa América was in 2015 when they beat Ecuador 3-2.
– Uruguay had 22 shots in their 2-0 win against Bolivia. This is the most of any South American team at the CONMEBOL Copa América since at least 2011.
– Edinson Cavani found the net after three games without scoring; his last goal came in the 3-0 win against Colombia. Tonight he had 7 shots with 3 on target.
– Paraguay into the quarterfinal with a professional win –
Berizzo’s side books their place in the quarterfinal with an impressive 2-0 win against a good Chilean side.
The win came thanks to a Braian Samudio header and a Miguel Almirón penalty to secure what was ultimately a comfortable win.
With this result the guaraní side reach 6 points and move into second place with a final game against Uruguay to define their final position in the group. Chile has a rest day in the next round of fixtures and will have their final position decided by results elsewhere.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
- Paraguay won 2 games at the CONMEBOL Copa América for the first time since 2007 (2 wins, 2 defeats). Albirroja had just one win between 2011 and 2019 in the competition (12 draws, 6 loss).
- Paraguay have won all three games against Chile at the CONMEBOL Copa América held in Brazil: 3-0 in 1922, 4-2 in 1949 and 2-0 tonight.
- Paraguay have won their last 3 games against Chile (twice in World Cup Qualifying and the game today in the Copa America). This is their best run of results against La Roja since the period between 1993 and 1997 (4 wins).
- Braian Samudio scored his first goal with the Paraguay national team. He is the twelth player to score under manager Eduardo Berizzo.
- Chile only had one shot on goal against Paraguay. This is the lowest number of shots against the Albirroja in any game at the CONMEBOL Copa América since at least 2011 (equal with the 1-0 win against Jamaica in 2015).
- Paraguay crossed the ball 4 times against Chile in tonight’s win. This is the lowest number of crosses by the side in any CONMEBOL Copa América game since at least 2011.