One point will be enough on Wednesday for Colombia to qualify for the quarterfinals of the CONMEBOL Copa America 2021. The cafeteros are close but standing in their way of a gauranteed spot in the next round is a dominant Brazil side looking to maintain top spot in Group B.
The sides will meet at the Estádio Nilton Santos in Rio de Janeiro at 21:00 local time.
“This is a transcendent game for our aspirations” Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda said ahead of tonight’s clash. Colombia suffered a disappointing loss to Peru having drawn to Venezuela and narrowly beating Ecuador in the opener.
Colombia have 4 points from 3 games which means they currently sit in second place behind Brazil who have 6 points.
Colombia have a rest day in the final round of fixtures, so a positive result against Brazil to guarantee their progression will mean they can relax knowing their quarterfinal spot is secured.
– Details –
Stadium: Nilton Santos (Rio de Janeiro)
Time: 21:00 local – 00:00 GMT
Referee: Néstor Pitana (ARG).
– History –
- Brazil has only lost one of the last 19 matches against Colombia in all competitions (11W 7E). Colombia’s only victory came at CONMEBOL Copa America 2015 (1-0).
- Brazil hasn’t at home since their 2014 World Cup third place playoff match against the Netherlands. Since then, they have played 25 matches, won 22 and drawn three. Brazil only failed to score in games in this period.
- Colombia manager Reinaldo Rueda is looking for his first win against Brazil. His Colombia side drew against the Seleção in 2006 World Cup qualifying during his first spell in charge and his Ecuador side lost against Brazil.
- Brazil is the team that has scored the most in the competition (7), had the most shots (8) and created the second most chances (12.5 behind Paraguay with 16.5). Brazil has scored a goal on average every 26 minutes.
- Colombia is the team that shoot on average from the closest distance to goal at the Copa America. 82.5% of their efforts on goal have come inside the penalty area, with their average shot distance the lowest at just 13.7 meters.