Asian champions Qatar surprised on Sunday by coming after a 2-2 tie with Paraguay in Group B of CONMEBOL Copa America Brazil 2019.
The Guaraníes opened the scoring at Maracana Stadium with a penalty scored by Oscar Cardozo in the fourth minute and scored in the 56th minute with an unstoppable shot by Derlis Gonzalez.
The Catharis, who came to the field without complications and missed three goalscoring opportunities, discounted in 68 with a superb shot by Ali Almoez from the edge of the big area that entered the left corner of ‘Gatito’ Fernandez and tied in the minute 77 with a goal by the defense Boualem Khoukhi after a great collective play.
With this result, Guaraníes and Cataríes are second in Group B with 1 point, behind leaders Colombia (3) who beat Argentina the previous Saturday and left them without points.
• Paraguay won just one of its last nine matches against Asian countries (4E 4D): it was 7-0 against Hong Kong, in a friendly played in 2010.
• Paraguay remained undefeated in its last 16 Copa América debuts (8V 8E); it has not lost its first game in a Copa América tournament since 1975, 0-1 to Colombia.
• Paraguay again scored more than one goal in a Copa América match after eight matches (1V 3E 4D); the last time had been in the 2-2 tie against Argentina, in 2015.
• Paraguay attempted 11 shots in the first half against Qatar; its highest in a first half in the last four editions of the Copa América.
• With his goal against Qatar, Óscar Cardozo became the third oldest player (36 years, 27 days) to turn a Copa América match in this century (Rafael Márquez 37 years, 123 days and Claudio Pizarro 36 years, 256 days).
• Paraguay’s Oscar Cardozo scored the second-fastest penalty in Copa America history (4′), with Uruguay’s Alcides Silveira scoring the first in 1959 (2′).
• Derlis Gonzalez scored his seventh goal for Paraguay; six were in the second half, including the scored against Qatar – today he scored for the first time from outside the area with his national team.
• Almoez Ali from Qatar scored Qatar’s first goal in the CONMEBOL Copa América; Ali had been the scorer of the 2019 Asian Cup, with nine goals; more than double any other player in the tournament.
• Oscar Cardozo again scored for Paraguay in the Copa América after 4,367 days; it’s the second highest time between two goals from the same player in the tournament. Flavio Maestri scored for Peru in the 1991 and 2004 editions (4,753 days between goals).