On a huge of football in Group A, Chile drew 1-1 against Uruguay in Cuiabá while Argentina narrowly beat Paraguay in Brasilia. With this both booked their spot in the quarterfinals of the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021.
These results ensure the Albiceleste are the sole leaders in Group A with 7 points while Chile are in second on 5. They are then followed by Paraguay (3), Uruguay (1) and Bolivia (0).
In the first game of the day, neither Uruguay nor Chile were able to find the winning goal and the game finished 1-1 with prolific scorers Eduardo Vargas and Luis Suárez finding the net
La Roja took the lead thanks to a goal from Vargas who no has 14 goals in the CONMEBOL Copa América, bringing him in sight of all-time top scrorers Norberto Méndez y Zizinho.
Paraguay picked up their first point in the tournament thanks to a close range Luis Suárez equalizer.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
• Uruguay and Chile have drawn 1-1 in three of their last fice meetings in the CONMEBOL Copa América. In the other meetings there was a 1-0 win each.
• Chile are now six games unbeaten in all competitions (2 wins, 4 draws). All those four ties have been 1-1. La Roja has managed to score at least one goal in all six games, but could only keep a clean sheet in one of those games (1-0 vs Bolivia).
• Uruguay had 16 shots in the game. This is the joint-highest number of efforts on goal since 2011, tied with their 2019 meeting with Ecuador.
• Charles Aránguiz won all four of his aerial duels in the match, making him the only Chilean palyer to win 100% of his headers. This is the most aerial duels Aránguiz has won in any CONMEBOL Copa América game.
– Argentina, con lo justo –
Lionel Scaloni‘s side secured a hard-fought victory against Eduardo Berizzo’s tough Paraguay team, picking up a 1-0 win thanks to an early Alejandro ‘Papu’ Gómez goal.
Argentina started well but found themselves pinned back in the second half and had to battle their way to a narrow 1-0 win. The points confirm the Albiceleste as Group A leaders and ensures their place in the quarterfinals.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
• Argentina beat Paraguay for the first time in four competitive games (3 draws, 1 loss). The previous Albiceleste victory came in the semifinal of the CONMEBOL Copa América 2015 (6-1).
• Argentina stretch their unbeaten run to 16 games in all competitions (9 wins, 7 draws). They have not lost since an0-2 defeat to Brazil in the Copa América 2019.
• Paraguay did not score in three of their last four games: 0-0 against Uruguay, 0-2 against Brazil and 0-1 tonight against Argentina. They only found the net in the 3-1 win against Bolivia on the first round of the Copa América.
• Lionel Messi equalled Javier Mascherano’s record as the player with the most caps for Argentina (147). In addition, he has now played 100 competitive matches for the Albiceleste.
• For the first time in the last nine games against Argentina, Paraguay had more possession than their rival: they had 56.9% of possession.
• Argentina had eight shots on goal tonight against Paraguay. This was the second lowest during the Lionel Scaloni era, tied with the match against Ecuador in October 2020 and one more than the game against Paraguay at the CONMEBOL Copa América 2019 (7).