In what is expected to be a very close game, Perú and Paraguay meet in the opening game of the CONMEBOL Copa América-2021 quaterfinals in Goiania.
Peru progressed to thi stage with a win against Venezuela (1-0), a draw with Ecuador (2-2) and a win against Colombia (2-1). An impressive recovery after an opening day 4-0 defeat to hosts Brazil.
Paraguay, on the other hand, began with a good win against Bolivia (3-1), a narrow defeat to Argentina (1-0), an important 2-0 win against Chile and a final day defeat to Uruguay.
Peru finished second in Group B while Paraguay qualified in third from Group A.
One of the two are now just 90 minutes and potentially a penalty shootout away from a semifinal against the winners of Brazil and Chile.
– Details –
Stadium: Olímpico Pedro Ludovico Teixeira (Goiania.)
Time: 18:00 local time – (21:00 GMT)
Referee: Esteban Ostojich (URU)
Where to watch: América TV, DirecTV (Perú); Trece, Telefuturo, SNT y Tigo Sports (Paraguay);
– History –
- Peru has only lost one of their last 4 games against Paraguay in the CONMEBOL Copa América (1 wins, 2 draws), although they lost all 4 of the meetings prior to this.
- Peru are unbeaten in their last 7 games against Paraguay in all competitions (6 wins, 1 draw). The last Paraguay win came in November 2014.
- Paraguay has conceded below the per game average in their last 7 games in the CONMEBOL Copa América (2 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats – 5 goals against in 7 games, 0.7 average). Paraguay hasn’t conceded more than 2 goals in the competition since June 2015 (1-6 vs Argentina).
- Paraguay is the team with the most left-footed scorers in the current CONMEBOL Copa América. So far 4 of their goals have been scored with the left foot, 80% o their total goals (5).
- Junior Alonso, Paraguay, is the player who has made the most succesful passes at the CONMEBOL Copa América with 256.