In a match that defined Paraguay’s destiny, the Guaraní team lost 1-0 to Colombia, who reach the quarterfinals with a perfect score after three wins in the group phase of CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019. For their part, the Guaraníes, who needed a victory to be not dependent on anyone and advance to the quarterfinals, were left with two points after the ties against Qatar and Argentina and was waiting for the game between Japan and Ecuador, which needs a tie, to classify as one of the best two thirds of the classification.
Colombia, who played at the Arena Fonte Nova with 10 changes from the match against Qatar, dominated the game with a strong defense of their goalscorers, this time, Jéfferson Lerma and Gustavo Cuellar.
It was Cuellar who scored 1-0 for the Cafeteros, after a play in which the Flamengo midfielder reached the bottom of the area, finished off, and beat the goalkeeper Roberto Fernandez.
In the second half, with the changes made by both coaches, the match had more emotions and arrivals. Even the intervention of the VAR annulled the second goal of Colombia, scored by Luis Diaz. The goal was not valid because the Colombian midfielder controlled the ball with his hand. However, Paraguay could not afford to score despite trying until the last second and Colombia ended up keeping their goal in zeroes.
After the victory, Colombia returns to Sao Paulo, where they will face on June 28 the second classified of Group C, which will be defined on Monday June 24, with the game between Chile and Uruguay, while Paraguay awaits the outcome of the game between Japan and Ecuador.
- Colombia won 6 of the last 7 matches against Paraguay in all competitions; on this streak, they only lost 1-2 at home in the classifications rounds for Russia 2018.
- Colombia won their last four CONMEBOL Copa América matches, something they haven’t done since they won eight straight victories between 2001 and 2004.
- Paraguay has 10 matches without victories in CONMEBOL Copa América (5E 5D); it’s its biggest ever streak in the competition.
- Colombia has won its three group phase matches in the CONMEBOL Copa América for the first time since 2001, the year it won its only title.
- Colombia achieved its fifth win over Paraguay in CONMEBOL Copa América (1E 5D); it is the second team to beat most in the competition (9V 1E 2D vs. Ecuador).
- Colombia maintained their undefeated fence in just two of their nine neutral field matches against Paraguay (3V 1E 5D).
- Colombia classified to quarterfinals in 10 of the 11 editions since CONMEBOL Copa América with the current format (1993); it did not advance in 2007.
- Gustavo Cuellar scored his first goal for Colombia, in his debut in CONMEBOL Copa América, with his first shot and his first touch in the rival area in this competition.