Colombia has it’s sight set on the quarterfinals of the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021 and they can achieve this on Sunday with a win against Peru.
Los Cafeteros on four points currently sit second in the group behind leader Brazil with six points following two wins. Peru has only played one game so far but they were comfortably beaten 4-0 by Brazil and are currenly bottom.
Colombia made a strong start with a win against Ecuador but despite plenty of chances couldn’t beat in form Venezuela goalkeeper Wuilker Faríñez and drew 0-0. A win will secure Colombian progression while Peru can put themsleves back in the mix with a positive result today.
– Details –
Stadium: Olímpico (Goainia)
Time: 21:00 local time– 00:00 GMT
Referee: Esteban Ostojich (URU)
– Background –
- Colombia and Peru have drawn six of the last eight games they have played at the CONMEBOL Copa América (1 win for Colombia, 1 win for Peru). The last two games ended goalless.
- Colombia have gone 10 games without defeat against Peru in all competitions (6 wins, 4 draws). The last Peruvian victory was in July 2011 by 2 goals to 0 in the CONMEBOL Copa América.
- Peru have lost their last two CONMEBOL Copa América games. Both defeats were against Brazil (end of 2019 and first game of 2021). The last time Peru lost three consecutive games was at the 1956 Copa América.
- Colombia’s Yerry Mina has won more aerial duels than any other player at the CONMEBOL Copa América (13)
- Peru (118) and Colombia (117) are the teams with the second and third most defensive duels on average per game in the tournament behind Ecuador with 130. Peru have won 47% f the duels while Colombia have come out on top 52% of the time.