It was not easy, but Chile just about managed break through the combative Bolivian defense and win 1-0 in their first victory in Group A of the CONMEBOL Copa América 2021.
Ben Brereton scored the only goal of the game at the Estadio Arena Pantanal, to pick up his first goal for Chile on his full debut.
Following a draw against Argentina in their debut Chile move on to four points. Bolivia also lost their opener against Paraguay and will now be up against it to progress from the group.
¡GOLAZO! Ben Brereton anotó el 1-0 de @LaRoja ante Bolivia con una gran definición ⚽
What a strike! Ben Brereton makes it 1-0 to @LaRoja against Bolivia with a great finish ⚽
— Copa América (@CopaAmerica) June 18, 2021
Chile were able to creat decent openings from early in the game. First, after just 3 minutes a long range strike from Jean Meneses was well stopped by keeper Carlos Lampe, the star performer for Bolivia.
Just before the 10 men mark the in form Lampe could do nothing to deny England born Brereton giving the lead. Eduardo Vargas squared the ball and the powerful, dynamic forward cut inside to fire the ball into the corner from the edge of the box.
A few minutes later the action action forward was close to scoring his second, but this time the goalkeeper came out on top.
The Bolivian keeper had a busy night making further saves from Erick Pulgar, Menseses and stopping another big chance for Brereton.
Bolivia began to establish and consolidate in the game from that point. Roberto Fernández missed a clear chance that was well saved by Claudio Bravo while Henry Vaca had a decent effort from range go close.
After the break Bravo was again called into action as he denied a powerful shot from Erwin Saavedra.
Despite creating some openings Bolivia lacked the key pass to create that clear goalscoring opportunity and despite some dangerous breaks, Chile were also unable to find the net.
Therefore the clock ticked fown to the final whistle and La Roja were able to add three points to their opening day draw against Argenitna. For Bolivia it was a second consecutive defeat which means
Thus the minutes were consumed and La Roja was able to achieve its first victory after the equality against Argentina in the debut.
Bolivia have lost thier first two games and after a rest in the next round of fixtures will return with a must win game against Uruguay.
NUMBERS FROM THE GAME
• Chile have now gone six games unbeaten against Bolivia in the CONMEBOL Copa América (5 wins, 1 draw). In addition, the Chilean team secure their third consecutive victory in the competition against Bolivia.
• Chile has scored at least one goal against Bolivia in seven consecutive games at the CONMEBOL Copa América (5 wins, 1 daw, 1 loss). La Roja scored in 14 of the 15 games in the competition against the Bolivia.
• Bolivia only conceded one goal against Chile in tonight’s game. The Bolivians had not conceded fewer than two goals in a CONMEBOL Copa América match against a rival from their confederation since July 2011 when they drew 1-1 against Argentina (1 win, 11 draws).
• Chile had 14 shots on goal from inside the Bolivian area. This equals the most attempts on goal by a CONMEBOL side against a continental rival since 2007. Venezuela conceded 14 shots in 2011, Panama 14 in 2016 and Mexico 16 in 2016.
• Bolivia’s Carlos Lampe made 10 saves against Chile. This is the most saves in any CONMEBOL Copa América since at least 2007.