The finalists of the previous CONMEBOL Copa América, Brazil and Peru, will meet again on Monday in the same city in a huge semi-final of the world’s oldest national team competition.
The two have already met in the group stage of this year’s tournament with Brazil emerging as comfortable 4-0 winners. Peru recovered well and will expect their second meeting to be a far closer afair.
Since this poor start, Ricardo Gareca side has recorded a draw and three wins, including their quarterfinal triumph against Paraguay in the quarterfinals.
Peru will be without dangerous winger André Carrillo while Brazil’s Gabriel Jesus misses out, both having received red cards in the previous round.
Brazil come into the game in good form and will look to continue their impressive run to book a place in the final. The winner of the game will face either Argentina or Colombia, who play in Brasilia on Tuesday.
Stadium: Olímpico Nilton Santos (Rio de Janeiro)
Time: 20:00 local (23:00 GMT).
Referee: Roberto Tobar (CHI)
TV: SBT, ESPN Brasil (Brasil); América TV, DirecTV (Perú)
- This will be the twentieth time Brazil have met Peru in the competition (15 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses). One of the Peruvian wins came in the 1975 Copa America and was the last time Brazil lost at home in the competition (3-1).
- Brazil boss Tité has never lost in the CONMEBOL Copa America (8 wins, 3 draws). If his team reaches the final he will match Mario Zagallo’s unbeaten record in the competition (12 games, 10 wins, 2 draws).
- This is Peru manager Ricardo Gareca’s tenth game in charge of Peru against Brazil (2 wins, 8 losses) and the sixth in the CONMEBOL Copa America (1 wins, 4 defeats). Peru are unbeaten against in 12 games in the CONMEBOL Copa America excluding matches with Brazil (6 wins, 6 draws).
- Brazil has scored the most goals at the 2021 Copa America (11) with 8 coming in the second half and 5 in the last 15 minutes.
- Peru is the team with the lowest number of shots amongst the Copa America semi-finalists (18) but with the second highest shot conversion rate (16.3% of efforts ending in a goal).