The Argentinian team defeated Qatar 2-0 on Sunday, in a match played at the Arena do Gremio, in Porto Alegre and qualified as second in Group B of the CONMEBOL Copa America, Brazil 2019.
The first Argentine goal came early. Lautaro Martinez took advantage of a not very good start of the Qatar team and scored 1-0 when both teams were still settle themselves in the game.
The game had an interesting procedure with arrivals for both sides, but it was the albiceleste team that had the greatest opportunities to control the game.
Agüero got the second goal (82 ‘), with a cross shot stepping on the area, after passing from Dybala, to calm down the game fom the albiceleste, which by then knew that Paraguay was losing against Colombia.
After their victory the Argentinian team will face Venezuela (2A) on Friday June 28 at the Maracaná Stadium at 16:00hr.
• Argentina defeated Qatar the two times they faced each other. Today the Argentinians won 2-0 for the Copa America and they previously had won 3-0 in an exhibition match in 2005.
• Argentina has seven straight victories in a neutral field against Asian countries: three in the World Cup, one in the Confederations Cup, one in the Copa America and two in exhibition matches.
• Argentina accumulates seven consecutive wins against teams outside CONMEBOL in Copa America; his last defeat was 0-1 against Mexico in 2004.
• Argentina lost only two of their 23 games against Asian countries in all competitions (18V 3E); both were exhibitions, the first one against China in 1984 (0-1), and the second one against Japan in 2010 (0-1).
• Argentina has reached the quarterfinals in the 10 editions of Copa America that they have participated since it was played with the current format (1993); they did not contest the 2001 edition.
• Lionel Messi played his 24th match in the Copa America; He reached Teodoro Fernández (Peru) and José Bustamante (Bolivia) in the top ten players with the most games played in the tournament.
• Qatar is the first team that has received two goals in the first five minutes in the same edition of Copa América since Bolivia 1979; the Paraguayan Óscar Cardozo and the Argentinean Lautaro Martínez scored in the first four minutes of the game against the Qataris.
• Lautaro Martinez scored Argentina’s first goal against Qatar; is the top scorer of the Albiceleste (5 goals) since Lionel Scaloni is the coach (3, Lionel Messi).
• Sergio Agüero scored his 40th goal for Argentina (93PJ); the striker scored his eighth goal in Copa America, in 17 games that he has played.
• Lionel Scaloni is the first coach to receive a yellow card in the history of the CONMEBOL Copa América.